| The Devil Himself |
I read a bit of the book a while back and haven't had a chance to pick it back up again. I'm quite sporadic when it comes to reading; I ended up buying Holly Madison's memoir "Down the Rabbit Hole" for $3 on a random week night. I read that book with such a ferocity, all within 3 nights, compared to my strained relationship with Louis de Pointe du Lac's own memoir.
I still have a means to read it, even though I would prefer a physical copy over the PDF I have on my iPad. After finishing up Holly Madison's memoir, I felt very pleased to have read and finished the book, even though it was an easy read (absolutely no offense). It was a nice way to get back into reading.
Riding that high of having just finished a book, I was looking for more horror related books to read in the bookstore. I thought, having only paid $3 dollars for Holly's book, I'd be able to score another one for around the same price. Wrong! It's $14 and up in that bitch. Oh well!
So, I ended up looking up some horror books that I could download for free. I ended up downloading "The Monk", "Dracula", and "Carmilla". Very Gothic, I know. I had read Mary Shelly's "Frankenstein" when I was younger, however, I think I read one that was suited more for my reading level? I saw that the book was difficult to read, but at the time, I devoured it. Maybe I misread that info. I should read it again.
Anyways, I have a stack of books, physical and digital, piling up. The chances of me reading IWTV are very slim compared to me watching the AMC series, lol!!
I remember when the news of a live-action adaptation had just come out. I had some "friends" who weren't too keen on the casting of Louis and Lestat, as well as Claudia. There were the usual complaints... I didn't know enough about the source material, besides the 1994 and the 2002 films. I couldn't make any judgments on the casting, nor did I mind Louis's actor's race. These were the same "friends" that thought one of my other "friends" should cosplay the tanned woman of "Dirty Pair" because she was Mexican.
After learning more about the source material, and actually investing in reading the series, I think the change from "plantation-slave-owner" was very much needed. Rolin Jones says it best: 'Jones said that the changes were made to place the story in a "time period that was as exciting aesthetically as the 18th century was without digging into a plantation story that nobody really wanted to hear now".' I thought it was a great move, kind of like a "fuck you" as well.
The news about the IWTV television series broke 4 years ago. I let the series marinate for quite some time, lol. I knew I wanted to watch it, I just hate making the effort to watch new things, lol! I was also going through a lot throughout those years, including cutting off those so-called "friends". It was always at the back of my mind, especially after all of the clips I would come across on Twitter and Tiktok.
After all of that time, I finally decided to watch the first episode! I thought I'd be able to binge a bit of the episodes, but I'd have to pay for a subscription :( Fortunately, I was able to watch the first episode for free (that's how they get ya!). Let's just say, after watching the first episode... I am willing to buy physical copies of every season.
I basically read as far as the first episode goes, so I was able to note all of the creative decisions that were being made. The episode wastes no time introducing us to an aging Daniel Molloy and how quickly he heads to Louis's beckoning letter. Molloy is intrigued. He has another chance to conduct the interview of a lifetime, and goddammit, he wants to do it right!
The episode was so impressive. I'm particularly enamored with Jacob Anderson's portrayal of Louis. As a non-binary person born female, I've had my own experiences growing up around toxic masculinity. As a Latino, it is known to me and my fellow Latinos as "machisimo". I understand that every culture has its own form of "machisimo", as toxic masculinity transcends multiple barriers.
With that being said, seeing the contrast of Louis sitting leisurely on his sleek, modern couch to him mean-mugging in his car while he wields a pimp cane was interesting to see. He even notes on this himself, describing himself back then as more "rough-around-the-edges". Louis said that he had to portray himself in a certain kind of way to make it in that world. He even hid is sexuality, for which he held great shame for. It shows that this certain image of "masculinity" is a performance, as well as a protective shield. And that can be seen differently amongst every race, especially in Louis's case as a Black Creole man.
What I admire the most about this show is that it does not shy away from topics such as racism and homosexuality. If we truly want to understand each other and counter racism and homophobia, we must acknowledge our differences and struggles. Being "color-blind" does not effectively cease racism.
I am reminded of the ethics of sameness: The "other" will try to find base with the "normal" crowd in order to assimilate. "I might be gay, but me and my partner are just like every other hetero couple!". This "sameness" portrays the gay couple as less threatening and easier to understand. This "philosophy" fails because we still acknowledge being hetero as the "normal" and "default" setting of humanity. This action also fails to challenge the status quo. Queerness becomes digest able and conditional.
In order to create harmony, we must challenge each other and have difficult conversations. We have to acknowledge each other's differences and accept them. Ignoring them does no one any justice, as the imbalances still exist. A gay couple is different from a straight couple, and that's okay. Sex is different, culture is different, parenting is different, politics are different. I haven't even mentioned intersectionality. We all must understand that. I've only watched the first episode, so I haven't seen how these themes unfold in the series, but I've heard good things.
That is why I think Jacob Anderson's portrayal of Louis is so important. Also! Louis is easily becoming one of my favorite characters. He's become so complex and relatable, from book to show. He's a closeted man who loves his family and would do anything to make them feel comfortable. He might have to partake in unsavory business practices, but he's doing what he can during that time period. And then Lestat came to town and fucked everything up.
I joke... But he did take advantage of Louis's grief, isolation, and desperation in order to change him. Who knows what Louis might have done if Lestat wasn't there. However, I must admit... They way Lestat seduces Louis... Shit, I would've been the same way. Stopping the poker game just to say that I deserve more in life... Especially after how hard I work to provide for my family as the sole bread-winner... Then letting me win the game... That would've gotten me. Lestat speaks a promise. Sam Reid's voice is so thick and sultry, it's perfect for Lestat.
Lestat uses that voice to seduce Louis into turning into his immortal companion. Louis is completely lost and all he knows is Lestat and his sweet promises. Lestat vows to love Louis more than Jesus. Wow. Louis gives in. No more burdens, no more limitations, no more hiding. He lets go and Lestat embraces him. That's the end of Louis's mortal life.
It was such a good episode, all 70 minutes of it. I was immediately captivated. Usually I am begging for more, whether it'd be queer sex, religious trauma, or just plain ol' freaky shit. I was very pleased. Gay shit has become so palatable and marketable as of late. I appreciate the show for not speaking to us in metaphors. And it's not like being gay is their whole purpose, you know? We have these multi-faceted characters on screen doing some toxic, messy shit!
That's all I got for now, since I don't have the funds for a subscription. I think in the meantime, I'll try to get back into reading the book. I'll see if I can acquire a second-hand copy of some sort... I really miss looking through the books at thrift stores. In other news, I will be going to Spirit Halloween this Wednesday. Yippee!

No comments:
Post a Comment