I had some YouTube videos playing in the background while I was writing last night and I came across this tag! Thank you Madame Absinthe :) I'm a sucker for tags, it brings me back to my young blogging days! It's a quick, fun little tag to end the month of August.
1. Crypts or Cathedrals
This is a really hard choice. I've seen some really beautiful cathedrals online, I'm sure you're familiar with the numerous tiktok's of a certain one with Rammstein playing in the background. lol. Cathedrals are absolutely stunning on the outside and lovely on the inside, but I think a crypt is a lot more haunting. It's more chilling to go through a passageway to descend underground, just to see a chapel or burial place. It probably smells like stone and the earth, as well as something ancient. Spooky stuff! We don't have nice looking architecture over here in the Central Valley, so I'd honestly be impressed with almost anything, lol!
2. Graveyards or Mausoleums?
This was also a difficult choice to make! After some heavy thinking, I'm gonna have to go with graveyards! A Mausoleum is nice and all, especially when you want to visit a loved one, but a graveyard is classic! It's a wide, open space in which you can respectfully hang out. You can walk through the cemetery for any evening stroll, you can have a picnic, you can make art, etc.
I am reminded of a controversy that happened not too long ago regarding cemeteries; Two people had taken a lewd photo atop a deceased person's grave. For the last 15 years or so, the Goth community has had this discourse surrounding photographing in graveyards and whether it's disrespectful or not. This incident really takes the fucking cake! They could've DIY'd their own gravestone, wrote a cheeky epitaph, and did a photoshoot using that as a prop! The lesson: Don't. Do. That!
3. Ravens or Bats
This one is a bit easier because I do not have a strong affinity for bats. I know, I know, a bit blasphemous, but I was never enamored with bats. It's a very common symbol amongst the Goth community and the print can be seen everywhere during Halloween time. They just don't do anything for me! Ravens, on the other hand, I can get into! Especially crows :) I always like the idea of having a Raven/Crow familiar, and if not a bird, a cat. Ravens remind me of when I was in the 7th grade and I would binge a bunch of Edgar Allen Poe literature when I finished up my school work.
4. Gargoyles or Demons
Gargoyles are really cool looking, for sure. I just learned that a sculpture is a gargoyle only when they spit out water, otherwise they're known as "grotesques". Neat! However, demons evoke a more visceral reaction out of me. I am very attracted to things that actually freak me the fuck out, like the anatomy of a spider or the body horror of zombies. I am very enamored by the supernatural and possession films are some of my favorite genres, even though a majority of films are complete dogshit, lol. The old medieval depictions of demons are some of my favorite images to come across!
5. Ghosts or Vampires
Are you fucking stupid? Vampires, obviously!!! LMAOO! I've been obsessed with vampires ever since I was a kid! Even if you asked me Vampires or Werewolves, I would've chosen vampires! They're just so classic and they can symbolize anything from seduction to manipulation. Movies are still being made about vampires to this day, man! Easy choice.
6. Wizards or Warlocks
I would have to choose wizard. Gandalf is a wizard. If I'm not mistaken, wizards initially have magical powers, while warlocks only practice the craft. I can respect a warlock because they learned how to practice witchcraft on their own accord, but I would prefer to have been born a wizard. The blue robes and hat with the yellow celestial print is a classic look, you know?
7. Thunderstorms or Fog
This question is funny because if you've dealt with the extremes of either of these weather phenomenons, you wouldn't willfully choose any of them, lol! In the valley, fog is very dangerous here and people pray for each other to make it back from work to home safely. It's very bad here, you have to drive slow and have your window down because if you can't see, you must be able to hear. Fog at night... I've never had so much anxiety in my life!
It's the same with thunderstorms! We do not get a lot of rain here, but we do get the occasional heavy storm. It is not nice or safe to travel in. When I was attending university, I had to use the freeway for the last 25 minutes of my drive. Where I attended university is notorious for having very, very bad drivers, so the traffic was already a nightmare. And then it starts to rain real heavy... I had to take an early exit and wait because not only was I being blinded by the cars in front of me, splashing my windshield with water, the rainfall was just fucking beating down on my car. I don't even know how my car was able to drive through all of that water!
So, if I did not have to travel through any of these weather conditions, I would have to choose thunderstorms, duh! We get fog here all of the time, lol! And yes, it does remind me of Silent Hill, but it also reminds me of The Exorcism of Emily Rose. We don't get rain often, so it's a novelty to us out here! Especially a thunderstorm. I do not experience any anxiety, especially if I'm safe inside of my own home. I find the rainfall comforting and cozy, with the occasional sound of thunder. The sound of thunder makes me think there's like a huge monster out there!! It excites me!!
8. Midnight or Dusk
I am going to pick midnight, for sure. If I had to choose between sunset, twilight, or dusk, I'd choose sunset. Every timestamp has its own charm, but I love to be outside around sunset. It depends on what season it is as well. The sun has to be low and I have to watch it go down. So, I guess I'm witnessing every stage?
However, the question is asking me to choose between midnight and dusk specifically, so I choose midnight! The night becomes very still at that hour and the moon is high up in the sky. Isn't midnight the middle of the night? I've been going for my jogs during the night because I can't get up early for shit, lmao! But it has been really night to run late into the night. It's like another world.
9. Candles or Lanterns
Candles all the way. Candles are timeless. Lanterns are novel, you know, with the whole nightgown and descending staircase and all. I would rather use a candelabra. Candles are very prominent tools in numerous religious practices, as well as the craft. You can use candles to pray, to cleanse, to manifest, to set a mood, to make your dwelling smell good. Candles are easily accessible! And candles just look beautiful in the dark, especially when you're relaxing or lighting up a freshly carved pumpkin :)
10. Metal or Classical
Metal. lol. Listen, I love classical music, I used to listen to Beethoven on my iPod when I was in middle school. I loved Kerli when I was younger, so I wanted to find more artists like her and Emilie Autumn popped up. I sifted through her work and I ended up loving her Laced/Unlaced album. I love the way classical musical instruments sound, I do!
But I'm a huge fan of Metal and its subgenres, dude. I have a lot of emotions running through me at all times, metal helps me work through those feelings and express them. I also get really fucking pumped when I listen to metal. That feeling you get when you hear a good drop and you stank face. Good shit, man. It's like a drug. Metal also has many subgenres and groups that use classical instruments in their songs, like Septic Flesh, Synestia and Evanescence (loosely), just to name a few. These genres can easily go hand-in-hand.
11. Velvet or Satin
This is very hard. I will say velvet because it is very hard to find at the thrift. Crushed velvet, oh yeah, but never velvet. Can you imagine a deep red velvet, vintage dress? Ugh. Maybe the inside can be lined with satin? lol!
I remember being obsessed with Twilight when I was younger (vampires, duh), like everyone else. I had gotten this Twilight interactive activity book from target and it had a bunch of quizzes. One of them was to test to see if you were Edward Cullen's ideal type of love interest... At the end of the test, you would go through all of his preferences and how ever many you got right would determine whether he would pick you or not, lmao!!
One of the questions was like "If you had a coffin, what would the inside of your coffin be lined with?". The choices were like "A. White Virginal Cotton, B. Messy With Blood, C. Deep Red Satin" and other shit like that. Can you guess which one you were supposed to choose? I chose satin, of course! However, the answer key said that Edward wouldn't like me because the red satin was too intense and seductive... Oh brother!!
12. Silk or Lace
Another tough choice... I love lace accents on silk. I feel like lace would be uncomfortable to wear on its own, maybe a bit itchy? Usually lace dresses are lined with polyester or something. I've been looking through pictures of lace dresses and I'm not too impressed. I think I'm gonna have to pick silk! Silk just feel nicer, sexier.
13. Red or Black Lipstick
Red! I know I was dying for a black lipstick not too long ago and I ended up getting one for my birthday. However, I feel like red lipstick looks the best on me because of my skin tone. I loveeee a deep, blue-red lipstick. I prefer a cream lipstick, not too matte and not too shiny. A while back, I came across the Bloody Lip Tints from Sushy Glow Cosmetics and I love them!! I purchased Ripped Guts and Lilith, I love those colors! Ripped Guts is a warm, almost brick red color. If you think about it too hard, it might gross you out! And Lilith is just the perfect shade of red, in my opinion! It's a deep red that I like to layer my Maybelline Lifter Gloss in "Taffy" over!
14. Wine or Coffee
Coffee, through and through. I know red wine is such a Goth staple, as well as romantic. I did try it and I liked it. I've just had too many bad experiences with alcohol in general, lol. I remember drinking a huge one to myself and vomiting my brains out. Wine also gives me really bad heartburn and diarrhea. Wine also has too much sugar. I know coffee isn't any better in that department, but coffee won't give me alcohol poisoning. Which I've had multiple times.
Anyways, coffee is a universal language. Coffee is a bonding experience, especially since I come from a Latino household. It's coffee and panecito in the morning and coffee and panecito at night, lol. Coffee and chisme. Walking through nature with a cup of coffee, a cold one in the summer, a hot one during the winter. Cafes in the morning, cafes at night. I love coffee!!
15. Roses or Peonies
What a silly question. Roses are overrated for a reason, man. People will say "I don't want roses because roses are basic" and blah blah blah. Roses will always be on top! I will admit, Lilly's, Sunflowers, and Lavender are some great contenders, but I will always love a bouquet of Roses!
Those were all of the questions! That was a great writing exercise. Tomorrow will be September 1st, so I will be starting the Horror Film tag! Exciting :) Blessed Be!

No comments:
Post a Comment