I had plans, you know. I was about to type out my favorite vampire movie post, until I saw this video. I had to stop everything that I was doing and watch it.
Now, I'm going to interpret "voodoo doll" as a "rag doll" instead. I know it's commonly known as such, but I don't want to be ignorant, you know? I've read that the "voodoo doll" has been denounced by Members of the High Priesthood of Louisiana Voodoo. I won't associate the rag doll with any sort of religion or practice, it's more of a neat little gimmick to me. Very reminiscent of early 2000's mall goth culture, Korn and all. I've just always loved the little dolls you could get at Hot Topic or the quarter machines!
So! With that being said, I just had to make one. I had a mighty need. I was originally going to wait until the next day to make a trip to the Dollar Tree, but I checked my arsenal instead. I had almost everything and that made me excited!!! The only thing I wanted were different colored buttons. Instead of writing a blog post, I ended up making this rag doll!
Here's my supply and set-up, lol! I was able to find everything after digging into my boxes! Making the doll was pretty simple and it would've been faster if I knew how to work my sewing machine. That's another skill I need to work on! I hand-sewed everything, so if you don't have a sewing machine, you can still make this doll.
Here's the fabric, thread, paint, and patch I decided to use! I also had a broken misfit pin and hair clip I could use to decorate. I knew I had the zebra print, but I forgot that I had hot pink thread! I forgot I had a bunch of shit, man. I need to get back into sewing and DIY. I wanted all of these different colored thread because I wanted that contrast against the black and white fabric. Very Cool!!
If your fabric is wrinkled, iron it! You have to draw out your doll and cut the shape out. Then, you pin the shape to the folded fabric and cut around the shape. If you pin it real good, it shouldn't be too hard!
In the video, the creator sews the reversed frabric right after. However, I wanted to decorate my doll with some studs, spikes, and a centipede patch! So, I sewed the patch onto the back with hot pink thread and poked some holes!
Once all of that had been done, I flipped them back over and began to sew them together. The original creator does this with a sewing machine, but I hand-stitched. Instead of using a whip stick, I weaved the thread over and under. This does the same effect as a slip stitch once turned inside out. If you need a visual, since I myself am a visual learner, you can watch the video above!
See, over and under! I left a space open so that I can turn the doll inside out. That place is also where I stuffed the cotton into. The arms are a bit more difficult to turn inside out, I use a pen to further push the fabric out!
This is where I left off last night, since sewing the patch and applying the studs took quite some time. It was already looking pretty cool!!
My mom found a pillow in the garage that I could gut and she brought me home some buttons from the Dollar Tree! I used the pen again to stuff the cotton into the narrow limbs and head. Once I've stuffed it as much as I could, I used a slip stitch to close it all up! After that, I sewed on a blue button for her eye using the hot pink thread. I don't think I've ever sewn on a button before that!
I used purple thread to sew an "X" for her other eye and green for her jagged little teeth! I was so happy with how it was turning out so far! After that, I painted on a pink heart with fabric paint and added the pins, as well as some safety pins! I also put one of my Exorcist pins on ;)
I decided she was too cute to just have lying around, so I decided to sew on a lobster claw clasp. As soon as the fabric paint dries, I'm gonna hang her onto my bag!
And then she was done! My little rag doll was complete!! I have decided to name her "Stigmata". I love her so much, I can't wait to show her off!
This was a fun little detour from what I was originally going to do, lol. I was so consumed by this need to make my own little doll. It was a vicious attack and I had to satiate it with action. Now that THAT'S out of the way, I can finally clean my room. After writing my next blog post, of course.
Y'all I'm scared, I just saw this Burger King commercial romanticizing the 2010's, bitch what do you mean???!! I was fucking 12!!! And it looked nothing like the 2010's, what the fuck were they wearing? God dammit, all 2020's is, is pure regurgitation and no originality. When are we gonna hit the roof? We have to plateau sometime. I'm gonna lose my mind.
Anyways, I'm gonna eat some cold Chinese noodles and watch the MTV Music Awards. I'm watching the rerun as I type this. Ricky. Martin. Blessed BE!!
No comments:
Post a Comment