Thursday, September 11, 2025

The Brain (1988) Film Review

 


    I was trying to watch more Sci-Fi Horror films before my next post, but all the films I wanted to see were behind a paywall. Boo!!! So, I decided to watch this film instead. This movie blows!!

    I was expecting so much more from a film titled The Brain, you know? I wanted to see some freaky ass shit. I was expecting to see elements more akin to Billy and Mandy's "Little Rock of Horrors" episode, you know? A giant brain using mind control to eat more brains? The two plots are similar in nature, but one's a lot more entertaining!

    The film opens up with a shot with Dr. Blake's (main antagonist) building that he runs his program out of. It's the next shot that throws me off; We see "The Brain" just chilling in its giant tank of liquid, one tentacle hanging out. We see the "monster" straight up, there's no build-up or grand reveal. I wasn't enjoying the movie already :/

    My little brother was watching the beginning with me and he made me laugh! After a high schooler named Becky dies after falling out of her two-story bedroom window, my brother said, "I'm gonna have to give this death the 'Dull Machete Award' for lamest kill". Becky is supposed to be suffering from hallucinations being brought on by the Brain. There is so much layaway with a hallucination sequence, you can literally do anything! The opening scene is supposed to set the mood for the rest of the movie, and what it was showing me was lackluster. Therefore, I was about to watch a lackluster film. Boo.


YouTube has the whole film for free! You can watch the beginning if you want, but the specific sequence I'm writing about starts at 4:30.

    The film feels very hollow and one-dimensional. You can tell that the actors are trying their very best to make this movie solid. Our main character, Jim Majelewski, isn't a very captivating male lead. He's supposed to be charming yet mischievous, but the actor is too busy "looking good" to convey such a complexity, lol. "Great gowns, beautiful gowns"... The rest of the "teenage" actors are fine. They're okay. I didn't feel bad when Jim's friend got eaten by the Brain. lol.

    We typically see a handful of horror films tropes amongst 80's horror films. In this movie's case, we get to see some boobies. You gotta get the people in the theater somehow!! That particular scene gives sleazy porno vibes for sure. The topless woman ends up getting eaten by the Brain and I can't help but to think there was something sexual behind it. 0_o

    The rest of the film is really boring and I'm gonna be honest with you, I didn't finish the movie. I couldn't find it in my heart to finish the damned thing. I did manage to watch the ending in which Jim threw some sodium into the Brain's mouth, causing it to blow the fuck up!! That was a bit underwhelming, but it made me chuckle nonetheless. All in all, I would not watch this movie again! LMAO! I give it a 5 out of 10.

    Honestly, I would recommend watching that Billy and Mandy episode, it's really cool. Voltaire is the "Brain Eating Meteor's" singing voice. Catchy song. I remember watching that episode as a child and being so entranced! There are other "brain" themed horror films to watch that are probably better than this one! Much to see, so little patience!! Blessed Be!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Playing Normal

      My dress for the Quince! It's a pretty dress, I'm sure it'll be useful again one day. I'm not used to showing so much ...