I'll be honest, this is not my favorite subgenre of horror. Like I said, I don't mind violence, blood or gore. It's films like The Bunny Game (2011), A Serbian Film (2010), and Megan is Missing (2011) where I check out. I've realized that as I've gotten older, and more mentally stable, I don't find myself wanting to watch films under this subgenre. I can't even listen to, or watch, true crime anymore. If I was 5 years younger, my answer would've been different, as I was consuming a lot of content that didn't help my mental state. These days, I have my limits and I don't like the way these films make me feel.
I am not in the habit of watching exploitation/grindhouse films, it's not a genre that I turn to for subtle background noise. Martyrs (2008) was really cool, but I'm not watching it often, you know? Some films of the genre are more fun and entertaining, but I've seen very few. I haven't watched Pink Flamingos (1972) yet. But if I had to choose a film off the top of my head, it would be Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof (2007). It's a more commodified grindhouse film, more palatable and "fun" to watch.
I'm not a big fan of Tarantino. I really enjoy the Kill Bill films, all while having my own critiques. I also really love Death Proof. It is what it is, man. Anyways!! There are so many beautiful women in that film, I love watching them on screen! However, I do not take any pleasure in watching any of them die. Nor do I take any pleasure in the casual racism that seems to happen so often in Tarantino's films.
![]() |
| Serving face before it gets completely fucked by a tire. |
Like I said, there are so many beautiful women in that film, they are the only reasons why I love this film. They all dress so cute as well! If you haven't noticed, Zoe Bell is playing herself! Bell was also the stunt double for Uma Thurman in Kill Bill and for Lucy Lawless in Xena Warrior Princess. Zoe Bell is so bubbly and her personality is so infectious, she is probably the best thing about this movie. Right after the end scene in which Bell, Tracie Thomas, and Rosario Dawson beat the fucking dogshit out of Kurt Russell. LMAOOOO!!!!
The ending of this film is the best part out of the whole fucking movie, man. I love the ending so much!! I take great pleasure in seeing the build-up to Stuntman Mike's eventual death. Stuntman Mike stalks and tries to kill Zoe, Abernathy, and Kim until they start fighting back. Mike starts howling like a bitch after Kim shoots him in his fucking shoulder. Then he starts to retreat like a wounded animal and drives away in his car. That's when the trio go after him and make him beg for his life!! You see, I do have my reservations about exploitation films, until they end up like this one!
I do love a specific type of violence in horror films. I do enjoy action films. I like to watch people getting exactly what they deserve! It's all harmless fun, I would never find violence funny in real life. This only exists in the realm of horror where it should stay. Unless you did something awful like Stuntman Mike, that's when I believe in street justice, bitch.


No comments:
Post a Comment