American Mary (2012) can be considered a medical horror film, yeah? I already listed Jacob's Ladder (1990), so that's out! I haven't finished Dead Ringers (1988) and I thought Re-Animator (1985) was alright. I wanted to list Teeth (2007) but I don't think it will qualify.
American Mary is more of a body horror film, but Mary is a surgeon sooo... Katherine Isabelle plays the character Mary Mason, a surgical student who works as a stripper as a side hustle. Funds is tight! Mary accidentally gets mixed up in illegal activity, performing an emergency surgery on some guy. She gets $5,000 because of her help! But Mary is extremely weary of the money and worries about her involvement.
Because of this, Mary gets offered an extreme body modification job. Mary accepts and learns more about the extreme body modification community. Unfortunately, after beginning her surgical residency, Mary gets drugged and assaulted at a party by her former teacher. Mary drops out and uses her previous connections to kidnap her teacher. Mary begins to practice different surgeries on him while getting famous for her surgical skills through the dark web.
Justice for Mary, man. Spoiler Alert: She gets killed at the end. I am not the biggest fan of rape and revenge films, but I enjoy the parts when the victim gets justice. Oftentimes, there is no justice for victims, so seeing shit like that played out in films is very satisfying. That is the only time I want to see people get tortured, hardcore. But Mary fricken dies at the end! Poor Mary. I must admit, the ending is a bit unsatisfying.
American Mary is a bit campy and "funky" at times, but it's still a good watch. The best part about the film is the involvement of real-life members of the body modification community. Very cool! It's available to watch for free on Tubi, like many other cool horror films!


No comments:
Post a Comment