Saturday, September 26, 2026

Day 26 - Your favourite horror film to watch as a child.

 

    Gremlins (1984) was a fucking awesome movie to watch as a kid. I reference this film, along with E.T., all of the time! It's one of those classic horror films I have to have on deck at all times. I must watch this film at least once during Christmas time! It helps break up all of the sappy, nostalgic, painful Christmas memories, you know?

    I feel like this is the perfect film to watch for Christmas! I don't really like those traditional films like the claymation film Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (1964) or National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989). The reindeer film reminds me of childhood in a not so good way, EUGH! So much dread! And I don't like Chevy Chase. I would rather be watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000), Home Alone (1990), and The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993). I don't want to watch super emotional crap during Christmas, man, it's such a vibe killer.

    I want to start incorporating more Christmas-themed horror films into our itinerary this year. There are still some films I haven't watched yet cause honestly, I didn't care for Christmas-themed horror films, lol! I tend to hate the winter time, it has been very bad for me as of late. Too much stress, grief and sorrow! I want to have fun this year, I refuse to be sad. Absolutely REFUSE! And to me, that means hot chocolate with marshmallows, whipped cream, sprinkles, arts & crafts, and baking fucking cookies, bitch. All while watching our favorite Christmas films.

    Anyways! Gremlins is extremely entertaining to watch. Gizmo is very cute, I always hate seeing him writhe in pain while giving birth to his evil spawns. Poor little bastard! Stripes and his brethren are evil, sick fucks! One of them spits bile at Gizmo while he's playing a little trumpet. Evil! I have to mention how well done the practical effects and puppets are. They gross me the fuck out! Especially how the eggs hatch. I hate all of the stickiness of it all! I get really nauseous when I start to think about it too hard.

    After the first batch of gremlins hatch, they kill the school science teacher and torment Billy's mother. I think that might be the scariest part out of the whole film. "Do you hear what I hear?" Billy's mother finds the gremlins eating her gingerbread man cookies that are covered in this gross yellow frosting. They start throwing dishes at her until she locks one of them in the microwave and blends one. Super gross! And then the scene where a gremlin hides in the Christmas tree to ambush Billy's mother... Creepy.

    The most entertaining parts of the movie are when the Gremlins are released into the wild after Stripe jumps into the pool. I love the scene where the gremlins visit Mrs. Deagle, "Oh what are they? Oh, they've come for me!" Then they fuck with her motorized stair chair and she shoots out the fucking window. The bar scene in particular is fun to watch and we see one of the gremlins dressed in drag? It seems that all of the gremlins are male? I could be entirely wrong, but that's Stripe's lady. lol. We get a lot of funny moments from that scene.

    In my opinion, the grossest scene out of the whole movie is when Stripe tries to spawn more gremlins but is thwarted by sunlight. Stripe makes these disgusting gurgling noises while being melted, it makes me fucking gag. The noises paired with the practical effects... I am getting sick just thinking about it. I usually can't watch that part, that's how good the practical effects are. EUGH!!

    Gremlins is available to watch through numerous streaming services. I know my mom has at least one of them! I might want to watch it once October starts, but I also want to wait until December. I am also certain we own this movie on DVD. If not, we might have to purchase another copy. I am not renting this film during Christmas time. Anyways, I have to wrap this up, this post is making me nauseous!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Playing Normal

      My dress for the Quince! It's a pretty dress, I'm sure it'll be useful again one day. I'm not used to showing so much ...