Friday, September 11, 2026

Day 11 - Your favouritre science fiction horror film.


    I have seen films like Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), The Thing (1982), Re-Animator (1985), and The Blob (1988). Ever since I inherited my little brother's T.V., I've been able to stream all kinds of films on Tubi! There are still a lot of classic horror films I need to see, so I've made it my mission to watch as many as I can.

    I really like Sci-Fi, it's one of my top 3 film genres: Horror, Fantasy, Sci-Fi. If any of them have Romance, well... Score! I am a sucker for Romance, especially if it's queer. Like I said, I really need to watch all of the classics. But, from what I've seen so far, I'm gonna have to go with Alien (1979). There's a freaking Xenomorph at Spirit Halloween right now. Have you seen anything else like it?

    I love film grain so fucking much. I hate digital!!! It feels like I'm watching a YouTube video or something. I hate it! I tend to like older films like The Exorcist (1973) and Blade Runnner (1982), those are some of my most favorite films of all time. I love a film that knows how to take its time, a slow burn if you will. I have patience. I love when the film immerses you in its world, Invasion of The Body Snatchers was like that. I find a lot of comfort in those films.

    Alien has great set design; We are immediately introduced to the Nostromo, a freaking space ship. Humanity has become so advanced that space travel is possible, as well as suspended animation. The crew aboard the ship are awakened from "stasis" to a distress signal from a nearby planet. The crew goes to the planet to help, but they end up finding this mother fucker.

    That shit looks fucking cool, say "Thank You" to H.R. Giger! Anyways, one of the crew members gets attacked by a "Face Hugger" and they board the Nostromo, despite Ripley's (The Sigourney Weaver) protests. The rest of the film takes place inside the ship, where the chaos ensues...



    The creature designs are fantastic, extremely iconic. The Face Hugger design impresses me so much, I'm quite captivated by the vaginal anterior anatomy. I am not scared of vaginas, I have one. I happen to think they look quite beautiful. We all know of the "Chest Burster" scene and all of the behind-the-scenes facts about it. "It's their genuine reaction!". Very cool. That little guy scurries off into the vents of the Nostromo and grows into the titular alien, or Xenomorph.

Bolaji Badejo, the man behind the Xenomorph

    Another reason why I like this film is because it psyches you out. You sit down to watch this film and expect Tom Skerritt to be the hero. Guess who's the last one standing? None other than Ripley herself. This film is quite subversive, if you haven't noticed. Creatures with vaginas that can impregnate a person of any gender. A man "giving birth" to the Xenomorph. Ripley, a woman (gasp!), being the hero of the story. Apparently, Veronica Cartwright's character Lambert was transgender? There is still a lot of debate about this fact, but it's an interesting tidbit. I guess that little detail was meant to show how progressive medicine has gotten by the year of 2122 AD.

You can click this image to a webpage discussion about Lambert's gender

    We also have Ash, a secret android, played by Ian Holm (The Bilbo Baggins). He's the secondary antagonist and an interesting character for sure. Sneaky little guy, he's an asshole. Because of his android nature, he has this disdain for humanity. Human Beings. He is under "secret company directive" to bring back the alien specimen to earth, regardless of the crew's well-being. Ash tries to kill Ripley after she finds out but ends up getting decapitated by Parker.

"Ash: Last word.

Ripley: What?

Ash: I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

    After careful consideration, I have concluded that Alien is my favorite Sci-Fi horror film to date. It's a classic for a reason. I like this film better than Predator (1987), even though the Yautja's designs are fucking sick. We do have those 2 Alien vs. Predator films, if you like corny early 2000's films. The first AVP was pretty decent though! It gave us some scenes of the Xenomorph Queen and our first "Predalien" (Xenomorph and Yautja hybrid). It's kind of cool...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Playing Normal

      My dress for the Quince! It's a pretty dress, I'm sure it'll be useful again one day. I'm not used to showing so much ...