Thursday, September 17, 2026

Day 17 - Your favouritre horror film remake.

    My favorite horror remake has got to be The Ring (2002), starring Naomi Watts and the late Daveigh Chase. This was one of those movies that were very influential to me as a kid. I remember it being one of the scariest films ever, next to The Blair Witch Project (1999). We actually have this film on VHS! As a child, I remember observing the see-through plastic case. I thought that was very cool!

    As a child, I also remember the house on the corner of our culdesac would go all out for Halloween. Their house was fucking insane!!! One year, they had their garage open and shrouded it in darkness, with only the footage from The Ring playing on a t.v. I think there were taros hanging from the ceiling. They had someone dress up as Samara crouching down and crawling back and forth. You'd have to go inside if you wanted candy... ₍₍⚞(˶˃ ᗜ ˂˶)⚟⁾⁾

    I watched the original Japanese film, Ringu (1998) a long time ago. Ringu's female lead, Nanako Matsushima, is very gorgeous! However, I'm not ashamed to say it... Maybe a little bit, but I like the American remake better. I like the aesthetic of both films, they're both quite different. Early 2000's American horror films tend to use a lot of blues, greens, and rusty oranges. The Ring is pale blues and greens, rain and water. It's another moody film to throw on while it's stormy outside. Here's a side by side of both films if you want to compare!

    The film is quite impressive for being a remake. Usually American remakes don't do the original film justice. With The Ring, the film does feel a bit more sensationalized. The film has to be amped up more for the American audience, especially during the early 2000's. Foreign films know how to be subtle and take their time. That doesn't work for an American audience.

    Despite this, The Ring is an entertaining watch. Just imagine receiving a phone call from a little girl, after watching the most disturbing video tape ever. That's freaky, man! "7 days...". Till what?? Then, you start receiving dreams and apparitions of a creepy ass little girl, a lighthouse, and a well. What's fun about the film is the mystery. What kind of tape is this? Why does this exist? And who is that little girl crawling out of the well and through your fucking t.v?!?

    I think a newer audience would get a kick out of this film, after making fun of it of course. These days, young adults and teens yearn for the analog! They're getting back into flip phones, CD players, digital cameras, and VHS tapes... The curiosity and lack of knowledge, in regards to older technology, could really scare the crap out of some people! "I just wanted to see how a VCR worked!" Boom! Now you have a seven day curse that can only be lifted if you show the tape to someone else. Or else you DIE!

    Or you can fight for your life, like Brenda did. lol. There is a 2005 sequel to the American film. It's eh. I don't really care for it. I like the 2002 film as a stand alone film, as I felt it did a good job of covering Samara's past. The film gave you just enough knowledge about how the tape works. 

    And then there was a third film, Rings (2017). It was complete and utter dogshit!!! It was supposed to appeal to the 2017 young adults/teen crowd. Didn't work!! They also had a Fever Ray track playing in one of the scenes from an entirely different film? Red Riding Hood (2011) with Amanda Seyfried. The track was made specifically for that film, it doesn't make sense as to why it would be in Rings (2017).

    Anyways, the only thing The Ring 2 gave us was this scene. "I'm not your fucking mommy." And then The Avengers theme song plays as she closes the lid of the well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Playing Normal

      My dress for the Quince! It's a pretty dress, I'm sure it'll be useful again one day. I'm not used to showing so much ...