Apparently, It (19990) is technically a miniseries? Mini series my ass. For this post, It will be a made for T.V. horror film!
The first time I watched It, I was a very small child. And yes, it spooked the fuck out of me. It would just play on ABC (Freeform) all of the damn time. My father is a Stephen King fan, so we were constantly watching The Silver Bullet, The Shining, Creepshow 2, and It. We'd also watch a bunch of other horror films because we had young parents, lol!
Ugh, this movie (That's what I'm calling it!) was so fucking creepy to my siblings and I. We loved it. Because of our desensitization during childhood, we didn't get scared often. But this movie freaked us out, man! I don't think the kids and young adults today find Tim Curry's Pennywise scary anymore. They might think he looks dumb as hell. lol. However, I still think Curry's Pennywise is scarier than Bill Skarsgård's, but that's just my old ass talking!
What makes Curry's Pennywise scary is his clown make-up and costume. His hair is bright red, his make-up is stark white, save for is red lips and nose, his costume consists of primary colors. All the colors combined are quite nauseating to look at, at least, in my opinion. Old school clowns already have a scary reputation to many people. And his voice! It's kind of funny when you think about it, he sounds like a smoker. But it was so terrifying as a child!
I do appreciate Bill Skarsgård's portrayal, Curry's performance was good but it's his, you know? Skarsgård did great making Pennywise his own. I also think the movies are great, specifically the first one. However, I like how crude and simple the 1990 film is over the 2017 film. The 2017 film has a very high budget and utilizes a lot of CGI. It's too modern for me to find it as frightening as the first one. That doesn't mean it isn't good! I don't hate the new films. It's my nostalgia!!!
Honestly, it's been quite a long time since I've watched either of these films. I have to sit down and watch them again with some snacks n' shit. That would be fun!


No comments:
Post a Comment