Thursday, September 10, 2026

Day 10 - Your favourite psycological horror film.

  

    Psychological horror is probably one of my most favorite subgenres. Honestly, it might actually be my favorite of all time. If I analyze my favorite films, a lot of them are very exploratory of human nature. Horror is one of the greatest metaphors when it comes to trauma, it's not afraid to explore all the ugly shit. There is nothing scarier than humankind and all of the evil humankind is capable of. But as above, so below; We are just as capable of doing bad as much as we are capable of doing good.

    It is a bit challenging to choose just one film as my favorite under this subgenre. I think knocking out a couple of themes, that differentiate each film, helped me make this choice. There is also a running theme that is prominent in my top film choices, if you couldn't tell already... A somewhat religious/spiritual one. I watched this film when I was already struggling with my faith. Such is the case with many films... I don't believe in a Christian God anymore, or a "heaven" per say. We go "home" is all I know, whatever that is. But this film, and many others, have helped heal any anxiety I've had about faith, dying, and the afterlife.

    The reason why I watched Jacob's Ladder (1990) was because of the Silent Hill game and film series. I've read that Jacob's Ladder took a part in inspiring the creative team behind the video game. Naturally, I had to check it out! The first time I watched it, I didn't get it. But the second time I watched it, I wept like a little baby. This is a film about a man stuck in limbo, refusing to believe that he is dead. He is also stuck because he refuses to let go of his living family. There is this quote from the film that shook me to my core:

Louis Denardo (A secret angel) tells this to Jacob Singer

Eckhart saw Hell too. He said: "The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you", he said. "They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and ... you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth."

    By the end of the film, when Jacob's deceased son comes to take Jacob to the afterlife, I was weeping. Jacob needed to let go of his human life and cross over. It's very much like accepting what happened in the past, happened. There is nothing you can do about it, even though it hurts so fucking bad. You cannot be stuck in that energy or mindset forever. You have to move on with your life and choose peace. And that moves me.

    I love this movie so much. The visuals are chilling and very iconic. There's a scene where Jacob's girlfriend, Jezebel (I wonder what that could be referencing), is dancing with this huge tentacled monster. It's very fever dream. Then, there is the scene where Jacob is taken by suited men (demons) to a hospital (hell) that "is his home" now. That is probably one of the most iconic scenes of the film, inspiring the creators of Silent Hill.

    It's better than Session 9 (2001), another source of inspo for the Silent Hill game. You can skip watching that film, lmao! I remember making my family watch that film in the dark and it was one of the most torturous, humiliating experiences of my life!! We should've watched The Conjuring instead, that would've been a lot more fun >:(((

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Movie Night

      It's the day after the Quince and I basically slept all day. I only had 3 hours of sleep before getting up and helping decorate. I...