Thursday, September 24, 2026

Day 24 - Horror film that you used to hate, but now like.

 

    Firstly! I never hated Obsession (2025), I just didn't have the chance to watch it when it came out. Very quickly, the film skyrocket in popularity and started trending on TikTok! And you know how it goes; When something becomes popular, one tends to stay away from it. I keep a mental library of all the horror films that come out and I tend to forget about them, lol. So, once Obsession began trending, I knew I had to see it.

    I also avoided watching Obsession due to the online discourse. I am Latina, my grandfather is from Guanajuato. There were some Latinos online describing Nikki's behavior as "toxica" behavior, with Latinas claiming "She's just like me". There's already a lot of fetishization towards Latinas online, this trend, that the film unfortunately brought, didn't help that. I was like "fuucckkkk, this shit is so dumb". So, that kind of put me off from seeing the film.

    Honestly, I haven't watched the film from start to finish! I was only able to watch it because my folks put it on. I would stand and watch it, then continue doing whatever I was doing. Of course, I would stay a bit longer to watch all of the scary parts! I think I was able to get the general idea about the film. It'd be better if I just sat down and watched the damn thing. There's a lot of stuff to pay attention to!

I'll rip my eyes out of my fucking skull and shove the barrel up my pussy, Bear!

    Inde Navarrette is fantastic in this film. She's cray-zay! So is Micheal Johnston, I thought he did very well playing an insecure, pathetic little man. The film's message is pretty much "be careful what you wish for" and is commentary on consent. Apparently, a lot of people couldn't interpret that message... Specifically dudes. Which is the real scary movie, girl. I didn't even watch the entirety of the film and I still got that message. It's quite obvious with how Nikki acts, "Kill me, please. She's sleeping. It's me. Ssh. Please, don't wake her up. Just... kill me."

    Throughout the whole film, you can see the real Nikki try to come through. I love how the writers included her love for writing, her one true passion, into her dialogue. She basically speaks in riddles, using her words to describe her tumultuous feelings, tainted by the One Wish Willow. One of the creepiest moments of her dialogue is during Ian's party. "A love only the branch of a willow tree could conjure." Very cool!

    And then Nikki starts fucking killing people, it's kind of awesome. I think the most brutal kill was Sarah's, since Nikki's "jealousy" becomes tainted from the One Wish Willow. Sarah is competition and Bear is sitting in a car with her, as Sarah starts to confess her feelings. Nikki will not have that! She rushes to the car, breaking the window with this strength, and smashes Sarah's head into the steering will like a maniac. It was shocking to see so suddenly! Pretty cool, lol!


    Poor Nikki, Her autonomy was stripped from her, she tried to plead with Bear from violating her boundaries because she thought he was her friend, she killed her friend and lover, and wanted to die because of all of this. And then she wakes up. The spell breaks because Bear killed himself. Well, he tried being noble; He downed a bunch of pills (much like his cat) and got scared, so he tried to throw them up. He didn't vomit them up in time. What a loser!! But, who knows what will happen to Nikki. All she wanted to do was quit her job to pursue her dreams of being a writer. All of that was taken away from her because of Bear's selfish desires. That is very sad and very scary.

    Justice for Nikki! Anyways, this was Inde Navarrette's breakout roll. She skyrocketed to fame after this performance. Recently, It has been announced that Navarrette will portray Rogue in the next X-Men film. Very cool!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Playing Normal

      My dress for the Quince! It's a pretty dress, I'm sure it'll be useful again one day. I'm not used to showing so much ...