Unfortunately, I am not in the habit of discovering niche, underground horror films. I haven't had any time to jump down any horror films rabbit holes as of late! I try to create more than I consume, and I'm barely creating anything sooo... I'm a big time procrastinator. So, I thought I'd use this post to talk about the film Teeth (2007) starring Jessica Weixler. It's not a film that absolutely no one has ever heard of, but it's a film that not a lot of people talk about. There isn't a "Kill Count" video about Teeth, that's for sure!
Teeth is about Dawn O'Keefe, a teenager who is a part of the Christian abstinence group. She is a very naive, happy-go-lucky girl that dreams about marriage. Little does she know, she has a condition called "vagina dentata", which means there are teeth in her vagina. The film explores her transformation as she comes to terms with her newfound condition. Teeth is considered a horror comedy, so there are many entertaining parts as it is horrible. If anything, the film is about choice, respect and consent.
Speaking of consent, the moment Dawn discovers she has teeth in her vagina, she is being pressured into sex by a fellow abstinence group member, Tobey. They go swimming and end up in a cave, making out. Dawn begins to protest, becoming uncomfortable, and Tobey shakes her until she bangs her head on a rock. Dawn is subdued and Tobey begins to rape her. That's when Dawn's vaginal teeth clamp down on that fucker's dick, cutting it clean off. No means no, asshole.
It's a pretty straightforward movie with a great message. I have it on a list with all my other "weird girl" movies! It's yet another film that is streaming free on Tubi, so check it out if that's your bag!


No comments:
Post a Comment